We enable all children to engage fully in all aspects of school life. To do this, we:
Encourage individual teaching/intervention, following specially designed programmes to address specific needs, e.g.
- Small group work to address shared issues, e.g. fine and gross motor skills groups; Lexia;
- Additional resources to enable better access to the curriculum, e.g. pencil grips, writing slopes, coloured overlays etc. Professional advice taken from Educational Psychology or the Cognition and Learning team.
- Thorough assessments undertaken by school staff or professionals
- Specialist interventions, e.g. Occupational Therapy, Magical Spelling, or Lego Therapy tailored to the unique needs of individual children.
- Skilled and dedicated Teaching Assistant support within the class, in order for the work to be further differentiated to meet exact/additional needs.
At St. Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, we do not see SEND as a barrier to learning or to accessing a broad, balanced curriculum alongside their peers. We pride ourselves on providing quality first support to ensure that all children can access tasks that are differentiated to their needs, and where possible as part of mainstream provision. All school staff are well trained in supporting pupils with a range of complex needs.
The provision and curriculum experiences offered to SEND children within our school is unique and reflects the needs of each child. Our school prides itself in delivering high quality provision for all. In order to deliver this provision, our school has:
- A model of early intervention for the needs of children with Speech, Language and/or Communication Needs.
- High quality teaching support, to ensure children with additional needs are well supported in all lessons.
- A Catholic/Christian approach, where each child is treated as a unique individual and their needs are understood by all of the school community.
- A curriculum, tailored to the needs of the child with staffing, differentiation, teaching style, and resources.
- A dedicated SENCO fully committed to inclusion and high-quality experiences for all children.